I have owned a: 65 GMC K2500 highboy w/ a 305 V6 and 3 on the tree, which I replaced with a four spd truck tranny, a 75 Dodge W2500 full time w/ 440 and auto, an 84 K5 Blazer w/ 305 and 4 spd manual, which I replaced with a 9.5 compression 350 w/ RV cam, an 83 Chevy K2500 6.2 diesel auto, an 82 Toyota 4x4 long bed PU with 22R and 5 speed manual,

All of these had manual hubs with the exception of the 75 Dodge. The 84 Blazer was the only one with AC. None had power any thing, but vacuum assisted brakes.

With auto hubs: a 96 Chevy extended cab long box w/ 5.7 and 5 speed manual, a 99 Chevy Blazer (S series) w/ 4.3 and auto, a 94 Toyota 4-Runner w/ 3.0 and auto, and Momma's 05 Durango with 5.7 Hemi and auto.

Maybe because it was my first HD pickup, and maybe because I share with my wife and kids so many wonderful memories of great times hauling wood from the hills, or hauling horses in the stock racks, or camping in the 12 foot overhead camper that came with the pickup, but that old 65 GMC is the most fondly remembered.

Put good chains on all four wheels and it would go anywhere in up to three feet of snow. Give it good traction and it would nearly climb a tree. It would go down the road well with 6000 lbs in the bed, or 16,000 lb on a trailer.

And it got 6 mpg going down the road empty at 50 mph, or loaded with a 12 foot c/o camper and horse trailer behind doing 70. It still got 6 mpg.

But truly the 82 Toyota PU was the best off road beater toy imaginable, as long as no work was on the menu.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.