Man I'd get it. I had one in .223Remington that I bought brand new in 1979. It would shoot 3 55 grain FMJs into 1/2 inch. With a .22-250 it may set the bolt head back but If you get a new barrel I think it would take quite a few rounds to cause a real problem. Just FL resize if you hand load and watch your cases for signs of stretching that could cause Incipiate Case Head Separation, which can be dangerous. Get a 26 inch barrel and later if it shows to have developed excessive head space just have it set back. That's the case for a 26 inch barrel, you got more to use. Just don't hot rod it too bad. A .22-250 is fast enough aleady. Also, I wouldn't try to use it on something like prairie dogs where you shoot a large volume at each session. A .223 would be a better choice for high volume because it's much easier on barrel throats.You could conceivably burn out the throat in as few as 8 to 10 prairie dog hunts with a .22-250. I use mine for deer, turkey, coyote, and yes ev en hogs and whatever else I need it for. Many a deer around here has fallen to a .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet and a head or neck shot. They do have their following in deer camps in Texas.

But I do have a soft spot (and I don't mean on my head) for a 788. They are accurate beyond all expectations. And you already have a nice stock and a Timney Trigger so in my humble opinion it would be worth it.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!