Originally Posted by fortymile
Thanks Filaman. Your thinking mirrors mine - it has all the ingredients except a good barrel. It may not be worth it to some, and even though there's no sentimental attachment to this rifle, I think it will be fun to turn it into a tack-driver, and I'm confident a new barrel will do that. Plus it gives me the opportunity to choose any 308-length caliber/cartridge/twist I want. I'm thinking 6mm Creedmore, 7.5 twist.

I don't know if I'd chamber a 788 in the CM. I think I'd stick with shorter rounds. While the CM works wonders in a 700 action you might lose any advantage a CM will give you.Also you will be moving up in pressure I think. Now the parent cartridge of the .22-250, the .250-300 might be perfect for it. Or a wildcat the bench rest shooters used back in the day alot was the 6mm International. made by necking down the .250-3000 case to 6mm would be a great choice for it too.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/12/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!