I thought I would resurrect this old thread and post an update. I decided against all logic and conventional wisdom to have my 788 re-barreled. A gunsmith in Twin Falls, ID, who is a friend of a friend, did the work. He installed a Benchmark stainless barrel, finished at 24 inches, with the same contour as the original 788 barrel. I decided to try something a little different and went with .22-250 Ackley Improved. 8 twist. I had him glass bed the original walnut stock. I got it back and it looks great. Bought 100 rounds of Lapua brass, and put together a fire forming load using 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets, Varget powder. Just what I had on hand. I followed Benchmark's barrel break in procedure, which is cleaning with copper solvent after each round for 8 shots, then after 3 or 5 shot strings for a few strings. I'm pretty happy with the results. This is the best 5 shot group (first shot with a clean barrel) at 100 yards, two others were just a little bigger. Pretty good for a fire forming load. Can't wait to see what it will do with formed brass. I plan to get some Redding competition dies. It may be one of the most expensive 788s out there, but if it consistently shoots like this (sub 1/2 inch) I will be happy. Anybody have good .22-250 AI loads to share, with high BC bullets?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]