Originally Posted by fortymile
I have run multiple patches with the JB Bore Paste, Dan. It's cleaning up finally I think. I used some foaming Break Free copper solvent on it after shooting today. I only put about 10 rounds downrange but those first few patches came out very blue.

I wish my buddy Carl Deaton still made his Deaton's Deep Clean. Best damn Copper Cleaner I ever used. He tried to market it but people didn't have faith in him because he was only a roofer by trade and they they didn't have confidence in him to make such a product and they didn't give his product a chance.

He told me to take my dirtiest most coppered rifle barrel and use my favorite copper cleaner on it. I did. After I used it and shoved three or four patches down the barrel the patches came out white. Absolutely clean, or so I thought. Then he said soak a patch in Deep Clean and run it down the barrel, Leave it for two minutes and run a clean patch through. I did and it came out cobalt blue which is a good indication of copper. It was still full of copper.

I used this when I broke in my .250 Savage. It took about 40 rounds and it almost quit picking up copper altogether. That rifle today when I do my part will shoot inside MOA and sometimes when I'm on my game will shoot 1/2 MOA. Of course it has a Krieger SS 26" heavy sporter barrel with 1:9 twist. I attribute a portion of that to Deaton's Deep Clean. It helped me with barrel break in by removing all copper from the rough spots in the throat and caused it to smooth out fast. If you don't get all the copper out of the rough spots it will make smoothing out the barrel take longer.

This area is a very small part of the barrel and is where the chamber was throated. So even with a lapped barrel it needs a certain amount of breakin to smooth this area out. This area is relatively rather rough in relation to the rest of the smooth finished hand lapped barrel and picks up copper. The copper it picks up will make smoothing it out take longer and may cause it to be relatively rough for the barrel's life if not broken in properly.
That's why barrel makers give you a breakin procedure when you buy a barrel from them.

I wish I had the money to help this guy get it going again. He still has a patented recipe for it locked away but he ran out of funds before he got it off the ground. However, I think if your gun smith will hand lap the whole barrel once it's been chambered and head spaced you probably wouldn't need as much of a break in. I've heard tell some do it like that, hand lap the barrel after chambering it and call it broke in after 5 or 10 shots of cleaning after each shot. I think factory rifles are smoothed out before they put them on the market. Anyway, good copper solvent makes accuracy a lot easier.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/12/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!