Back when they actually ran street cars on street tires, there were actually times when fans would take the tires off their own cars to make sure their favorite drivers could finish the race!
Imagine that kind of fan loyalty and support now!
As I said, they sacrificed race dates at tracks where NASCAR was almost religion for people so they could sell souvenirs in places where people didn't know Richard Petty from Richard Simmons or Dale Earnhardt from Dale Evans. The races were starting to resemble pro wrestling except there weren't any bad guys. A drivers wholesome image was as important as his ability to drive a race car. It was marketing for the masses at the expense of the people who had made NASCAR. ESPN had done as much as the France family for NASCAR's new image. Their coverage was top notch. But when they gained bigger audiences they let big money broadcasting push out ESPN. But most of them had no idea how to cover a race. They were more worried about TV commercials and add dollars than quality coverage. It got to where I'd tape races so I could edit out so many commercials, or not watch at all.
Richard Childress has done as much for NASCAR as any driver/owner in their history. Although he recently resigned from the NRA board, I'm sure he still loves hunting and shooting, as do many others. One really has to wonder if Brian France is fit to head NASCAR.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden