The first article I am aware of on the .30-30 Ackley Improved is in the Robert Hutton series from Guns & Ammo. Hutton was searching for the ideal 300 Meter cartridge for International shooting. The series of tests involved just about every factory cartridge and wildcat that could have been thought of at the time.
PO made up the rifle, an FN Mauser with 26” barrel. He also chambered a 20” Model 94 for the cartridge.
I believe Dr. Henry Stebbins beat Hutton to print by mentioning the Ackley .30-30 Improved in his book on Rifles.

The article by Hutton: A New Look At The .30-30 was in the May 1961 issue of Guns & Ammo.
The goal of a 180 grain bullet at 3,000 fps was not achieved.
In the bolt action rifle it was found that accuracy improved as velocity increased right up to the point of primer popping.
Hutton commented that he shot his smallest ever .30 caliber groups with the .30-30AI. Also the smallest .30 caliber group he had ever seen. The smallest being 5 shots in ¾” using 35.0 grains of IMR 4198 and the Sierra 168 grain International bullet.
Hutton discounted any velocity increase with the Improved cartridge in the lever action rifle and said the advantage of the cartridge in the lever action was improved case life and improved accuracy.

There was at least one Improved .30-30 prior to the Ackley version – this one with a 35 degree shoulder. I have one in my collection and have posted the picture on the Beartooth forum in the past. I have searched quite a bit and have not found an earlier article on Improving the .30-30.

Slim