Good reason or not, I enjoyed a 30/30AI after reaming a Handi Rifle’s chamber. I cheaped out initially by using Lee standard 308 Win FL die as a neck sizer. Figured if the rifle was interesting enough I would buy an actual 30/30AI die set later. The rifle was easily under MOA capable grouper before reaming to AI, and if anything at least as accurate after if not more.
Final thoughts: Increased velocity possible because one can or may load to higher pressures. The benefit of the AI barrel chamber is ease of extraction beyond what one gets with extraction with a standard case when higher pressures and velocities are loaded up to. This is due to the minimal taper of the AI case. It doesn’t ’wedge’ itself tightly in the chamber like the tapered factory case does.
Now, the loads I used with a good bit of 3031 under 150 BT bullets in the AI case and still gave easy extraction had to be more stress on the Handi rifle’s action. I stopped Loading hotter because it seemed logical that I was approaching 308 Winchester speeds in a case (30/30) that had less margin of safety. I even started trying 375 Winchester brass but I was as mentioned, encroaching on 308 territory, a case designed for higher pressures.
SO, it was fun to play with a 30/30AI and if you want to go ahead and make metal chips. But if you want a faster 30 caliber, they are easily obtained buy just buying another rifle in 308 or whatever floats your boat.
I still like the 30/30 Win, and even have a couple of super strong single shots in a Ruger No.1A and a Browning 1885 high wall (28” octagon barrel).
I’ve thought about reaming them to Ackley Improved but I didn’t think about it too long.

Last edited by Alaninga; 10/17/21.