Originally Posted by las
Unless they are an immediate threat to ones self, children, livestock, or have taken up residence adjacent or under a cabin or home, IMO, they should be left alone to do their thing. We have no snakes in Alaska, but I have lived where they were, and encountered them (scaring the crap out of me a couple times) and felt the same then.

If it is legal, and they are wanted for meat or hide (not just the rattles) that is a different story.

Killing them otherwise is a wanton act, depriving them of the only thing the poor bastards have - their life. It is not going to make a bit of difference in the population, one way or another, so it is merely a "feel-good" act on the killer's part. No different than killing a deer or other animal "because it is there", or for the rack.

If it is illegal, then the snake killer should be prosecuted, in addition. No wink, wink, ha,ha.

an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. one of those bast*rds killer a golden retriever of mine a few years ago. And i know a number of people bit. Treatment isn't inexpensive. my golden weighed about 100pounds. I figure 2pounds per snake, or i need to blast about 50of them into eternity. i am still 30 or so short.
wanton act? no, it's intentional, feel good on the killer's part? you bet, more the better. Hate the damn things.
favorite way to do it? shotgun, and about 6 rounds of number seven. start at the head, work backwards, reload then start at the tail and work forwards. it makes it easier for the hawks and yotes to find a snack hanging on the barb wire fence.
and by the way, i don't shoot either yotes or crows.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/07/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO