I went with the M70 built up by Dennis Olson. My reasoning is that it is closer to a DG rifle stock. I have handled Winchester wood and it handles pretty well, just a bit short for a DG rifle. The sights are ok, but I wanted a 22” barrel, so I had it shortened and proper DG sights put on. I did want a 458 Lott, so that along with slickening up the action is in the action work. The trigger will be 3 lb and crisp. Finally, I asked my builder to switch the recoil pad out for a red kickeeze set to 14 3/8”. He may end up adding a recoil reducer or weight to get the balance right depending on how it balances compared to my request.

The other options were an AHR or Triple River. Both sound great, but I couldn’t afford to make the stock right and they required a fair amount of metalwork.

The funny thing is there is a complete AHR rifle for $3200 on Gunbroker I would have sprung for, but I closed the deal last week.

I think when Mr. Olson finishes the Winchester, I will have ended up with the right rifle.