My only M70 is a pre 60 featherweight in 30-06 and with factory length stock it hurt. Dad got it when I finished high school back in '63. The first time I shot it with 180 gr Remington factory loads it bruised my shoulder so bad i was oozing blood. A thick recoil pad with no wood removed tamed that.

Now fast forward almost 50 years, I walked into a nearby Gander Mountain and picked up a CZ550 Safari American on the rack in .375 H&H.. Beautiful wood. It fit me perfectly. They also had a .416 Rigby and a .458 Lott. I choose the .375 because of the wood, and never planning on going on safari figured I could afford to shoot it more than the other two, esp the .416. The stock may be a little clubby as some have stated, but the buttpad is wide and spreads the recoil well so it does not seem bad, plus the gun is heavy. I also have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and it is not comfortable to shoot, probably due to stock difference. Pushing 74 years old, if i were going for a larger more powerful caliber i would look for something like my CZ, and maybe a bit heavier in the 10-12 lb range.