Originally Posted by Remington725
Originally Posted by mathman
Which short stick powders give you that much variation?

I should clarify that the absolute variation was about 0.5 grains. Plus/minus 0.25

Yesterday I noticed it with RL26 but have noticed it with IMR 7828 short cut. And also H1000 as I recall.

Has anyone tested groups sizes of thrown charges vs. individually weighed charges? And what level of variation starts to become statistically relevant.

No. I put together precise ammo. I have seen such variability using stick powders in measures that I check charges with a scale. If I don't weigh it, it could be off by a few grains, due to bridging in the measure, both on the minus side, and then with the next round, on the plus side. I don't want that. And if I am going to weigh charges, I will make them exact by adding or removing powder. Why would I build crap, that could be dangerous, when what I want is precision that I can rely on, no qualms or fears included? If 60 grains shot the best in my tests, then I will load 60 grains to shoot. If 60.3 grains happened to be what I tested, and it shot the best, I'd duplicate that. I generally don't use half-grain increments in load testing with cartridges holding more than 30 grains of powder, but I will still replicate what I have tested to the best of my abilities and equipment.

Maybe it's my personality, maybe my upbringing, but I don't have tolerance for errors that are easily managed with a small amount of extra effort. And in things like guns and vehicles, I don't believe in loose tolerances. Because I rely on those mechanisms with my life.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.