A little thing, by way of example.

Yesterday I had RSO duty at our range. I watched a very experienced BR shooter coaching a relative newbie. The newer guy asked about the peg at the front of the front rest, the forearm stop, and why the other guy pushed his rifle against the stop, then moved it back a smidge. The experienced shooter explained that he shoots his .22 with a bit of shoulder pressure on the butt, and he doesn't want the rifle stressed by being "sandwiched" front and back. I never thought of that, and I can't say whether it matters or how much, but it makes sense. I do know that it's important to reposition your stock in exactly the same place after each shot. Something as simple as a piece of tape on your stock works. Not all shooters use a forearm stop, I don't.

Optimal accuracy is about reducing variation, from whatever source. No variation, all the bullets go through the same hole. Simple, right?

Just like the OP, Mr. Scott. Everybody has to have their own goals, and decide how anal they are willing to be, how much of their money, time, and effort the accuracy chase is worth, while recognizing that there are diminishing returns.

My opening comment in my original response was not intended to be a put down, but came from having watched many shooters spinning their wheels, and going down rabbit holes chasing better accuracy, That's what I mean about "going to school", studying the issue and going about it systematically.

As for me, I'm not a dedicated BR shooter. I'm not interested in pursuing the ultimate in accuracy, although I respect and learn from those who do. I could afford better stuff, but I just enjoy getting the best from my "working class" guns like my CZ, and making the top dogs sweat a bit as I nip at their heels!

One thing more that bears repeating. Don't be overconfident about your scope, and don't put blind faith in a brand. If accuracy falls off, especially suddenly, check your scope. Best test is an immediate swap. Yesterday I watched another shooter as his 36X target scope took a dump. The brand debate rages here on the Optics forum.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.