Paul39 said to go to school on .22 Benchrest; truer words were never spoken! Many folks think shooting off of a benchrest with an adjustable forend rest and a good rear bag is a guarantee for shooting small groups. Well, it isn't as easy as it looks! Absolute concentration to details (uniformity) is essential. Yes, a competitive rifle and GOOD ammo is a big part of the equation, but without the uniformity (good bench technique), the group just isn't what you expected.

There have been lots of really good tips given on this thread, if we could only remember them once we are on the range. I have a state of the art 6mm PPC light varmint class rifle. I think that shooting it is lots easier than my .22 LR benchrest rifle - probably due to the weight of the gun and what wind does to the .22 slug.

In bluebird weather it is just a trigger pulling contest and 50-yard groups with the .22 is seemingly only limited by your ammo. My BR-50 Cooper will shoot groups in the mid to low teens with a good lot of Eley Ten-X. However, once that wind starts to blow and shift, then it's the guys that have learned to read and shoot in the wind that can still shoot small groups.

J Scott - Enjoy that rifle! Learning and improving is the name of the game!

Craig