For the fourth time I'll try posting on this thread. The others would not go through for some reason so maybe this one from elsewhere will.

Thanks for the report on the UP. It sounded like fun. Seeing a pup putting things together is pretty exciting probably topped only by seeing your own kids do the same.

I was expecting some of those mud bats had drifted this way by now. No joy yet, only saw one woodcock here this afternoon. That one acted like a newly arrived flight bird so hopefully it is a pathfinder for the rest.

It seems a lot of the woodcock cleared out ahead of the snow, sleet, and rain we had last weekend. I only found three of them over two days at the cabin when a half dozen in a single loop is considered to be a poor showing. The high point was grouse; nine werecontacted on Sunday and eight on Monday. Three is considered good with 1-2 the norm. Unfortunately, my misbehaving dog did not point any so none were shot.

Today, the walk was more typical with only one grouse contact. The dog did show some hope in getting back to its earlier form as it did point briefly. The bird must have begun running as the dog then broke point and the bird flushed unseen.