Bird hunting in Central Oregon seem's all done. second year i a row I haven't seen one wild bird. Great looking cover around but no birds! Made a number of trip's for Ruff Grouse but closest place is 100 miles, and no grouse. I was going to put in my own chukar's this year and didn't get around to it, will next year for sure! Friend in Burn's is finding some birds but not a lot. Wildlife biologist over there and no great report's coming in. I can't remember the last time I saw a wild chukar. Saw a covey of Huns a few weeks ago but private property no one can get on.

I know the pen I have will hold 50 chukar and might build another to hold another 50. Looked into buying them and only found 15 up in Vancouver Washington for $10 ea. Add the trip cost added is just to much just to much. Preserves have them, min $20 each min 10 birds, wish I could afford that, I'd give up wild bird hunting! Looks like the closest I'll get to wild birds again this year is feral pigeons I raised over the years from wild bird's. Do get the dog's out to run but get's old not being able to find wild birds.

Use to be, Clarno, on the John Day River, was super for pheasant, quail and Huns. Then about 27 yrs ago the Oregonian newspaper did an article on it and called it the best kept secret in Ore. It was but not anymore. Every body in the stat showed up to get their share! Even the dove's have marked it off their places to visit trips! Saw one pheasant down there about 5 yrs ago and a couple quail but haven't seen a thing since. I suspect the best bird hunting left in Oregon is in Idaho! Very frustrating here for hunting anything. Deer and elk and antelope are a fairly rare sight here anymore also.

Small mouth fishing still fair at Clarno but the best fishing is Crappie at Prineville Res, 75 mi one way! Wish I was younger and had less junk, think I'd move!

Last edited by DonFischer; 10/26/19.