The season is just about over for me too, but not because of the weather. My late season hunt in SW ND is just about done and it is time to go home. The birds were great and the weather was wonderful this year. The big storm that hit further east completely missed this part of the state. We filled out almost every day. The birds were in fairly large flocks already and the key was breaking up a flock and then poking around to flush the singles. When a big bunch are in a large heavy cover they won't stick around until you are within range.

It was a little different this year compared to normal in that there were still some standing crops around. Luckily, not so much near where we hunted, but we saw some huge standing corn fields, a couple sunflower fields and even a little wheat that didn't get combined. The deer and pheasants are going to have plenty of food this winter unless it snows an unbelievable amount.

The rooster to hen ratio seemed higher this year than normal too. I suspect that may have also been a result of the delayed harvest. It was difficult hunting earlier with all the standing crops so a lot more roosters survived.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes