Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by 458Win

My daily wear knife is either a custom copy of the case built by a friend, or one of the old Gerber minimags. I have worn out half a dozen of those.

What is it about the old Gerber Minimag that you you like? I've one that I bought in the 1970s and only use it as a trout knife. The blade shape and Armorhide handle seem perfect for that chore. Consequently, it has not had hard use since cutting small fish is not much of a challenge for hardened tool steel.

I have worn one virtually daily ever since I returned from Vietnam and they are a useful as a kitchen pairing knife, hold and edge very well, very tough and can be bent almost 60% without breaking or warping and with the Lamb grip fit the hand well and don't slip when wet or bloody.
Plus they were never expensive and as I wore them down they seemed to get better. I have worn out maybe 8 or 10 and am down to my last three.

Hmmmmm.....Seems I may have underestimated the Gerber MiniMag. But then again, as the saying goes; it is archer,not the arrow. Do you use the MiniMag to dress out bears?

Yes, they are great for capeing and removing toes.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.