Originally Posted by rwa3006
OP, I've been shooting a couple match 54's at distance for over three decades. Anschutz Fortner also. I prioritize my setup as ammo and optic being most important, and lastly the rifle.

Match grade subsonic ammo is crucial because you want it to go out the barrel UNDER the sound barrier so they do not fall through it on the way downrange which plays hell with bullet stability. Even more importantly, and counterintuitively to many guys, but well documented, is subsonic 22 ammo bucks the wind better than the fast stuff. Wind calls in this game are often tougher than vertical trajectory challenges. If temperature extremes are an issue then the answer is biathlon ammo.

Next, the optic is a huge factor and love or hate Stick, he is exactly right about the scope issues. Thirty years of this has given me time to try many scopes and I've yet to see the scope that will equal the fixed 10 SS at this game. And I've bolted a lot of scopes on my Annies. You would be amazed at how many Leupold, Vortex, Zeiss, Nikon, and other scopes have been exposed as defective by my Anschutz's and match ammo.

Finally the rifle will suffice if it has a decent trigger and can put together a good group. Does not have to be very expensive. I'd be willing to compromise on the rifle more than the scope or ammo. Good luck.

Best post so far to help the OP. ^^^

Kentucky Windage

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.