I would agree that the nature of subject matter on the Hunters Campfire has shifted during the past few years and that the general tone of posts/discussions has become less erudite. This may be because some of the early key Campfire stalwarts have left (death, disinterest, etc.) and their previous heavy influence is missed, it may be due to the tenor of social change as exemplified by younger/newer/less experienced participants, it may simply be due to the natural evolutionary degradation of most social groups - who knows? I do know that some very excellent and enjoyable guys no longer spend much time here and have shifted to a Facebook venue to continue their association one with another. Not having managed to do that with them, I appreciate their reasons and what they are doing.

Having been mostly a solo hunter/fisherman for the past 30 years I would not know from direct experience, but maybe the tone and tenor of discussions while sitting around actual campfires in 2019 are greatly different than they were 20 or 30 years ago. If so, it would be no surprise that this forum has shifted as well.

I seem to prefer the old ways and those in-depth discussions about firearms, reloading techniques and successes, performance on game and targets, where and how to hunt, etc., etc. - and have never appreciated the blowhards, the show-offs who brag and post voluminous photos of the latest great acquisitions (which actually are far exceeded by humble folks who own far better and nicer stuff - and know more), and don't appreciate the foul-mouthed wise guys who specialize in put-downs, insults and efforts to make themselves feel more important by denigrating someone else. Juvenile stuff. But, this place is a reflection of real life.

Fortunately, there is very good info and discussion on some of the other Forums here. Even more fortunately, through this medium I have met and grown to know and enjoy some first-class people - we manage to get together face-to-face and the richness and gratification of real time with such genuinely fine and very knowledgeable people is the best result of my time here. So, many thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron