The older vintage 4831 powder that JOC used was slower burning than current mfg, at least that's what I've read. I have some of that old vintage powder that still shoots good. I bought it as surplus from Hogdgon in the '60's. I've even shot tighter groups with it, compared to modern 4831.

I've heard good things about RL-26, but know it's hard to find. I was fortunate to get a big jug back when it could be had. I also have a big jug of MRP, which is close to RL-22. That one works pretty well. Sometimes you have to use what you can find. A burn rate chart can help. RL-23, Pwr Pro 4000 MR, 7828, those with similar burn rates can sometimes be found. There are alternatives that will work in the .270.

Another point, just because a vintage reloading book listed certain powders doesn't make them the best choice today. We have a much greater section of powders, higher performing powders, than they did. They used what they had. It doesn't mean those won't work, they did and they will. We have better options, IMO.

Welcome to the Fire.

DF