Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mountain Buck,

Welcome to the Campfire!

A couple months ago a gun writer named Terry Wieland published an article in HANDLOADER magazine about that very .270 load. He tried it in 5 different .270's, and it shot well in all of them--so no, it isn't weird!

JB,

Thanks for the welcome! I was not aware of the article in HANDLOADER, but knew that I did not discover something revolutionary. I was simply posting up my personal experience with the load. Mr. Wieland's findings certainly reinforce that fact. Also, my experience with the H4831 mirror yours. If I remember correctly, I was getting about 2850fps over the chronograph with the 59gr charge and 130gr AB's. Definitely slower than I had expected, or would have guessed. As for being weird, you're right its not. It just goes against the grain of the use of slower powders that are typically considered the gold standard in the .270 Win. My brother has a New Haven Mod. 70 classic stainless with the bolt on the wrong side in .270. That rifle thrives on IMR 4831 and the 150gr Hornady. IL. He will not allow me experiment, nor will he try another load in that rifle. On the flip side, his load shot patterns in my rifle, instead of groups.