[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My grandson and I were making up some loads to zero the scope. I asked him to get a box of Hornady 140 SSTs and some brass from my workshop. This is what he found on the shelf. I use Lapua 6.5x55mm brass. The cases in the ammo box are Lapua. The surprise he fetched is in the bag.

I thanked him, but said that I wanted the Lapua. We went into what we call Shawn's Tornado Room (cold cellar) and he showed me where he found them. They were in a cooler marked 6.5 Swede, and had to have been there for a long, long time. "You must have forgotten them." he said, but I explained that they were undersized, so I stopped using them. American made 6.5x55mm brass was undersized at the rim (and still is, I believe). This wasn't well known in the 1970s and 1980s. I was told this by someone at my club, after I had been experiencing extraction problems. I thought that it was because the rifle was military surplus.

I had purchased two bags from Lovetts, a shop in Kitchener, Ontario, many years ago. Some of you might remember the place. I'm not sure if the original owner, Keith Lovett, is still alive. The last time I talked to him he said that he had sold the place and was moving to NS. That was over 10 years ago. The second owners have since closed the doors.

I showed my grandson the difference by micing the rims. The Remington rim was 0.472 inches. The lapua was 0.479 inches. I remember having extraction problems, but when I switched to the Euro brass, the problem went away. Funny what difference an extra few thou makes.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada