Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Blue jays are tough & stringy

Mike

Ever try robins, field lark, or black birds?

Randy
Robin's are better than black bird or woodpecker, but that isn't saying much. All three are gamey, tough, and stringy. As a teenager my 3 friends that I run with have eat them. When we would campout we would bring a skillet, oil, flour ,salt and pepper. We all had the bright idea if we didn't kill something we didnt get to eat. Of course lots of alcohol the night before was consumed.

We would also take a couple slices of bread and wake around the pond looking for perch. When we would see one we would crumble up a half of a slice and throw it in the water. When the water started to boil we would shoot a 20 ga shotgun in the center of the boil. We would end up with 2 to 6 perch. When we had perch we didnt need to eat gamey birds.

I almost forgot when you pick them up black birds stink until you skin them.

Like I said, I'm gonna blame the beer. We would camp for days and like you, just bring the skillet and such. If we didn't kill or catch something, we didn't eat. One time a friend and I had a run of bad luck... on the 3rd day, we decided to try raw fresh-water muscles. Not too bad with a little salt and ketchup.

Randy, I ain't tough enough to try the muscles.
I got to draw a line somewhere.😉

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.