I will typically take tougher shots at larger bucks than I will at average bucks or does. Most of my shooting is at under 200 yards (under 100 yards generally) in country where seeing that far isn't common. During the rut the bucks are often on the move and don't offer enough time to wait for the perfect broadside shot. So presently my two favorite rifles hunting for the big ones are a 308 on a Mauser action, scoped with a Redfield Widefield and loaded with 150 grain Partitions pushed to 2800 fps with BLC2. My other or backup Texas big buck rifle is a 7-08 Remington Model 7 topped with a 3 power Weaver loaded with 140 grain Partitions pushed to 2650 fps with IMR4350. The Redfield has a thick duplex crosshair and the 3 power Weaver has a post/crosshair and both point quick for me. The rut in my area started Sunday and I will be back out there Friday. I also have a Ruger 77 in 270 for more open country and it is loaded with 130 grain Partitions. Anyone else out there think a bullet that gives deep penetration is better for trophy hunting than your basic CnC?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]