Originally Posted by rickt300
My other or backup Texas big buck rifle is a 7-08 Remington Model 7 topped with a 3 power Weaver loaded with 140 grain Partitions pushed to 2650 fps with IMR4350.

That is really close to what I used for blacktails in the Oregon coast range "jungle" for a few years. My scope was different, Leupold 1.5-5X .. but it was usually set around 2.5 to 3 X. smile And I used RL19 rather than 4350 ... a pain in the ass to get enough in the case even with a drop tube but in my gun the accuracy was better. In my first Seven in 7mm-08, some years earlier, I used IMR 4350 and 140 grain Nos solid bases. .. so we're gettin' a whole lot of overlap between what you're doing and what I did.

I torched the throat on that rifle plinking / practicing offhand shooting else I'd probably still be killing stuff with it. My rifle for that niche today is a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308.

I do prefer using premium bullets for hunting. I don't get to shoot enough critters in a year for cost difference to matter. I want what I have confidence in. Losing sight of a shot critter in the thick [bleep] I hunt in is a good way to lose the critter. Blood doesn't last long in heavy rain. Almost didnt' find my last buck because of that. I very much prefer putting them feet-in-the-air right where they stood, not a 200 yard run, or a 50 yard run, or even 2-3 steps, but truly feet in the air where they stood.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...