Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

The screening advice this young lady provides .... and also as provided by the American Urological Society... and as provided by this “task force” is .... in my opinion.... absolutely wrong.... as in .... wrong .... period, end of discussion.

I had had the psa screening and it picked up increasing numbers. I had a biopsy done and was shocked that at an age..... younger by a number years to the age this young lady was referencing..... shocked .... when the doc called and told me the biopsy showed I had prostate cancer and that it was.... his words...”the killing kind.” The cancer would have killed me before I would have reached the “guideline age.”

I had a business associate that was screened and then diagnosed at age 45. He had no idea there was anything wrong and his cancer was advanced. He got treatment and survived many more years. Similar story with an engineer I knew....in his late forties when a psa screening caught it. He still lives and would have likely suffered and died with it had he not had the screening.

I wonder if this guideline recommendation is driven by “medical treatment economics.” I would wonder if the expected “total lifetime treatment cost” for the insuring entity is less...overall.... if men don’t get screened until later in life? Like they say, “follow the money.”

FWIW..... my advice is that men over forty should have annual psa testing done.... either to provide a psa level history or to catch the early onset of prostate cancer.

Add: a number of years ago, My wife and I visited with a man.... mid fifties ....who was dying in the final stage of prostate cancer...she asked him if his physicals had picked it up.... he replied that he never had any sort of comprehensive physical....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”