Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I haven’t had any seen anyone polish metal for blueing, this is the biggest thing that bothers me with trying it...
I may see if I can find a blueing class where they teach it..

I don't think I've ever heard of a community college or any similar facility that has a gunsmithing class. How about hitting a gun show or a pawn shop and picking up a beater gun from the bargain tack to practice on? The book by John Traister- - - -"Gunsmithing At Home- - - -Lock Stock And Barrel" has a good bit of information on metal polishing. One that's out of print but still available on the used book market is "Do It Yourself Gunsmithing" by Jim Carmichael. Both of those books were very useful back when I wanted a custom rifle, couldn't afford one, and had to teach myself to do it.

One final tip- - - -rookie metal polishers have a habit of rounding off corners and polishing away stamped lettering. Only do what's necessary to get a good smooth finish and remove all the old bluing- - - -a too-aggressive polishing job is very obvious to somebody who has been doing bluing for a while, and it can really devalue an heirloom gun.
Jerry

Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA teaches gunsmithjng. Montgomery Community College in N. Carolina, Trinidad State Jr College in Trinidad, CO. Murray State College, in OK. More than a few......