Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If you use the 6.5CM as the basis for an "upgrade" I'd say you might want to quantify your parameters for the "step-up". You could use some mathematical benchmark such as ft./lbs of energy at 300 - 400 yards. What would be acceptable over the CM - 20% more? Would you consider a SD comparison too? Then factor in if you are capable of mastering the "upgrade"? What good is more "hitting power" if you anticipate the recoil? But as we have seen here many times, standard "deer cartridges" take larger N.A. big game quite effectively. Good luck.

I figured people can interpret the question how they want. I'm still learning about ft/lbs energy and whether or not that is an effective measurement of killing power. From what I've been reading, what makes a cartridge effective is a combination of velocity and bullet construction - pretty much whether a bullet can do what it's designed to do at its velocity when it hits game. I'm still figuring out what role the caliber of a bullet plays in this whole thing. I know that "bullets matter more than headstamps," but surely caliber matters as well?

Originally Posted by Bighorn
Creedmoor=Impeachment.

Sick and tired of hearing both.

That's why I put "6.5 Creedmoor" in the title - so that people don't have to click on it. So far, this discussion has been a little more insightful (for me, at least) than some of the other threads about the Creedmoor, but I get that it feels like this topic is being done to death and there's nothing new to be said.