Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Seems like people are awfully emotional about the 6.5 Creedmoor on here. I'm buying one because I hear it's not unpleasant to shoot and has excellent factory ammunition available, not because I think it's a miracle cartridge.

Seems like there's a lot of overlap between the creedmoor and many other non-magnum cartridges like the 7mm-08 and 270 Win - a "the deer won't know the difference" sort of situation.

At what point, as you move up the scale in terms of caliber and case size, do you start seeing a clear increase in performance on game from the creed? I'm asking because I like to have rifles that do different things and aren't very redundant.
..............Well in terms of only 6.5 mm rounds, then I would consider the following to be a quite a step up from the Creed in the 6.5mm field. The 6.5/284 Norma, 6.5 PRC, 264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler and followed lastly by the most powerful commercially offered 6.5 mm cartridge, the 6.5/300 Weatherby.

From the .277 caliber, the 270 WSM and 270 Wby. Both quite a step from the Creedy.....Ok. Some may also include the good "ol 270 Win.

From the 7mms; the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Wby, 28 Nosler, 7mm RUM.....And same applies with these as well. Quite a step up from the Creed.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger