That was simply a visual metaphor, not an attempt to divert this thread into a discussion of vehicle designations.

My point is that Colt either doesn't know their market or if they did, then they blew it.

The Python was the flagship of the Colt line or at least their double action revolver line. The current and upcoming demographic predominantly favors semi-autos by a big margin so this had to appeal to buyers for the same reason the original did. And like blue steel and walnut bolt action rifles, the guys who grew up with and appreciate the original Python are generally older and share some common values.

The high prices on original Colt Pythons are due to its mystique, the mystique of "hand fitting" in a world of CNC and cast parts, not its value as a shooter that if you go by price alone is 3 to 5 times better than anything else. It was an icon for a lot of those traditional values embraced by the older demographic.

If Colt said "this is better than the original", then fine. I think a lot of shooters, not collectors but shooters, are willing to give Colt the benefit of the doubt. And then this happens.

They might still be able pull this out of the fire but they quite literally shot themselves in the foot releasing the (fanfare of trumpets here) "Better Than The Old Python" Python, and then having major quality control issues right out of the gate.

I hope they do manage to recover some face from this, they need to.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!