Originally Posted by jimmyp
With the hit ratio for the police shootings being only 20% of fired bullets one would think that a more controllable pistol with more ammunition would be favored over a larger bore, higher recoiling, holding less ammunition pistol.

This is my understanding in speaking with an FBI instructor why the FBI chose 9mm. It wasn't because the 9mm was better than the 40SW in terminal ballistic tests, it was because it was easier to hit the target. And hitting the target was better at stopping the threat, regardless of caliber, than missing. I agree. But I also agree that the more energy and damage you can inflict on the target is also beneficial. Assuming you can effectively place hits on a target with any of these calibers, or others, why would you limit yourself to the weakest one? Not bashing the 9mm, I occasionally carry it, just that if I have to pull out my pistol, I or someone I love is in jeopardy of dying. It's that serious. I want every advantage on my side, including the biggest, baddest, meanest, most damaging bullet I can get and that's typically not a 9mm.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 01/22/20.