Originally Posted by olderthandirt78
Originally Posted by MILES58
I am with gunner500 on this one. I chose Barnes 125 grainers for my 357 and 40 and I push them as fast as I can. That amounts to a little past 1700 FPS out of my 357. When those bullets will expand to ad copy pretty at below 900 FPS, they will dam sure open well at 1700+. At that speed they will behave like all monos and make two holes in almost anything I want to shoot with it. The 40 is not so robust but it's no slouch either with 125s.

this is all very confusing. From reading it seems like the 9mm with gold dots is a very good self defense gun, but other people think that the 45 is a better option? Is a 45 with gold dot ammunition much better than a 9mm with gold dot ammunition?

I don't know, but after reading what Bluedreaux wrote, I feel much better about my soft carry load in my M21 Glock, a 230gr Gold Dot at 966 will have to be a lot to contend with.

Miles, those Barnes are cutters, run the 125's at 1400 in a Colt Trooper and the 140 Barnes at the same speed, a hunting load I developed later, it penetrates like there's no tomorrow for an expanding bullet.

Trump Won!