Sarge, please understand that I had no intention of saying that what you posted was not true. And yes the first ones were made and shipped in mid to late1979, with production going full bore in 1980. My knowledge of Redhawks is through having personally owned and shot probably well over a dozen starting as soon as one appeared at my LGS. I’ve also read everything I could get my hands on during those early years. It has always been my understanding that, right or wrong, the stainless guns superseded the blued models by several years. As your gun and date of manufacture proves, I was obviously wrong to some degree. Evidently, Ruger must have made both during that early run in 1979. I also agree that keeping it would have been a good idea. It probably has great collector value.

Over the years I have searched for, and traded for, models that exhibit better manufacture and fitting of parts (such as crane to frame fit and action timing and tightness). Of course accuracy has played a part in whether one stayed with me or not. I have found that the early ones were the best, IMO. I don’t think I am going to be a big fan of the new sleeved barrel models. Thanks again for your input.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug