If hunting elk in the timber I often use rifles the average hunter may think of as "perfect" for the job. But when hunting planes elk I am one that uses "timber rifles' at least half the time, just because I like them and I like to HUNT and sneak up on them.
So my "best" rifle for hunting in the open areas is probably my 300 Magnum, but to be open and honest, I usually only get it out after about 3/4 of the season is over, and then only if I have not killed my elk by them (which many times I do)
Even in the open sage and grass lands I hunt elk with iron sighted rifle many times and if the rifle has a scope, about 8 times in 10, I still hunt with cartridges that most hunters today think of as 'close range cartridges.
Iron sighted rifles I use both in timber and in the open are some of the following: A 303 British with 180 grain bullets, two 300 Savages with a 180 grain bullet, a 30-06 lever action with a 220 grain, Another 30-06,M1Garand loaded with 165 grain bullets and sometimes 220 grain bullets, an iron sighted 9.3X57 with a 286 grain. Even my 62 caliber flintlock or 44 magnum and 454 Casull handguns are used for hunting open country elk by me. Admittedly, not always successfully, but sometimes ------ and I really feel a lot better about kills I made after successful stalks and a shots of 150 yards or less then I ever felt about those kills I made as a younger man out past 700 yards.

My scope sighted "elk rifles" are my 2 "flat shooters " my 270 Winchester and my 300H&H, and my "not-so-flat shooters" that I hunt elk with are two 308s with 180 grain bullets, a 8X57 with 200 grain bullets, a scoped 9.3X57 with 250 grain bullets or sometimes 286 grain bullets, a 9.3X74R with 286 grain bullets, a 9.3X62 also with 286 grain bullets, and a 375H&H with 270 grain bullets. in the list of scoped elk rifles the one that would be voted "the best" by most hunters in American is actually the one I have killed the fewest elk with. The 300 H&H. My first elk was shot by me when I was very young, I think about 9 years old, with a 300 Savage M-99. That was 54 years ago. The caliber I have personally killed the most elk with, (all from one rifle) is the 375H&H and the caliber that is closest in "dead elk count" for me is the 270 Winchester, but from 4 different rifles. What I find odd is that of all the rifles I have ever used to kill elk the smallest (the 270s ) and the largest, (the 375H&H) are the only 2 I have never seen a bad result from and have shown be the fastest kills, bang-flops, as we call them today. The 375 would probably not surprise anyone, but the 270 is supposed to be the "low end" of power, yet I have seen more instant kills with that caliber on elk then any other but for the 375H&H. I can't explain that by science, but that's what my experience has shown me. There has to be a reason but I am just not sure what it is.

I love to HUNT and so I don't take the rifle that is easiest to make hits with at long range. I often (VERY often) use a rifle that makes me get within 300 yards of the elk, and most times I get much closer.
Any archer will understand the love of the hunt. I hunt with rifles and handguns the same way I hunt with a bow and arrow. I like to get close.

But I am not so dedicated that I will not "cheat' when the season gets short and I have not been successful. I have used the 300 Mags and my 270s to kill them too. I just don't start any season with the "flat shooters" and scopes. That makes the season far too short, and unless there is a pressing reason to get meat in the freezer and get back to work, I like to have my time in the field.

So when giving advice to those that come out to Wyoming to hunt elk I will often tell them to bring the rifle they can shoot best with, and in most cases that is a rifle that is coped and shoots pretty flat. If elk hunting is an "event" and not just part of normal life you should take advantage of what gear you can (as long as that is a real advantage and not something you may think is an advantage which actually is a hindrance.....which today are MANY) But knowing how to stalk and truly hunt if by FAR a larger advantage then a super flat fast rifle with some moon-viewing scope. It's always 98% the hunter and 2% the tool.

Last edited by szihn; 01/26/20.