I’m usually hunting big areas that are 5-7 year old clear cuts lined by dense timber. I will have either a 300 RUM or 300 Wby next to me.
My biggest strength for elk hunting has been scouting before opening day. I usually have a good feel where the animals will be at first light...I guess wrong sometimes, getting surprised by the elk either not there or they moved in a different direction from where I set up.

Next strength, and it’s one that can be purchased, is quality alpha glass. I’m good at finding elk bodies moving in the cuts or on the edges of the timber ahead of shooting light.

Knowing where to search with my glass has paid dividends for me a lot...I can see elk bodies usually before someone else, should I find myself in a competitive hunting situation, which is rare, but it does happen.

Just having that edge of locating the elk first gives me an advantage. I will laze the elk with my RF, hit my turret, and go straight to my scope to watch the elk until I can see horns.

I’ve already gotten a good range from my bins/rf and if I pick up an elk above or below where I had lazed in my scope, it’s easy for me to adjust off my reticle for the shot.

Now, I’m just looking for the right set of horns...Then press.

I’m a 30 cal mag lover for my elk country...I’ve shot 30 cals for over half my hunting life, and adding quality brakes to them have made a big difference in getting off a second follow up shot quickly, if I feel it’s prudent.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”