I have averaged 190yds on 3 cow elk, here in Utah. I hunt the edges of dark timber/aspen groves. I sit/glass a lot. I shot my first with a Mod 70 FWT 30-06, running at 135 steps.( perfect set up, 2x7 scope, 23" Douglas #3, very lively) 2nd- sitting under a big spruce during snow, 200ydss, standing by beaver pond, 375 H&H ( sporter weight, Mod 700 BDL SS, just right for a .375.
3rd- lwt 338WM 250yds high up on a knife ridge. ( a rebarreled MGA lwt 340W that was "to light", scope killer) One time I carried a Mod 70 Express .375 H&H , wood stocked club all day. By late afternoon my arms were almost rubber! I shot a mule deer at 80yds, and "dropped the shot" with my tired little arms! It hit very low, broke the leg and cut a big gash through lower chest. I lost the track at dark, came back next day with the '06, jumped her up around 75yds. Then I went into town and traded it off. Too heavy for the mountains for me! I like a "light Sporter", if I use a non magnum, I use an appropriate Premium, usually a mono. The magnums I used were also being used in 3 trips to South Africa ( 96, 98, 2002) so I tried to get them "bloody" before the trips. They are fine for elk "if you can carry it all day and still shoot well at the end". ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/28/20.