Originally Posted by RipSnort
For those that have used both of these rimfire cartridges shot out of rifles on game/varmints, which do you think has the edge in killing power?

I don't know exactly what you intend to mean by killing power. I can tell you that .22 magnum hits harder if it hits at all. The flatter trajectory gives the HMR more reach. The .22 mag hits harder within its reach. There is no argument with 50% to 100% .. or more .. greater bullet weight ... as long as you hit what you're aiming at. Second factor .. I have not owned any .22 mags as accurate as my HMR.

I've owned 3 relatively decent .22 mags. The first would hold about 1.25 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. That was a Win 61 magnum back when the only ammo I could find was WW or CCI, both 40 grain JHP loads. The other two, a Ruger 77/22 boat paddle and a Win 9422 mag, both would stay between 1 and 1.25 inches at 100 yards with CCI Maxi Mag +V ammo.

I'll take the HMR for smaller rodents .. up to ground squirrels, maybe a bit bigger. For jackrabbits or even coyotes, .22 mag all the way. Stay with 40s, or the 50 grain Federal load, and though it may not be legal, used carefully, it's pretty effective even on deer. Don't ask how I know, I'll leave it to your imagination.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...