Originally Posted by Mesabi
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Perhaps relevant to what you are pursuing:
I recall a comparison (don't know how valid) that a weimaraner tended to stay w/in 600 meters while a viszla tended towards 400 meters. Never head similar comparison to GSPs.

Sweet Jeezus! Have you ever actually hunted over dogs? If I had one that ranged like that, I'd trade it for a fat 3-legged Lab!

No two dogs even in the same breed range the same.

In some terrain I don't mind a "long leg dog" But the grouse and woodcock woods isn't one of those types of terrain. But even in the grouse and woodcock terrain I don't mind a good dog that ranges more than most will accept. Key is a "good dog"! I am not knocking anyones dogs but from experience most guys that claim their dogs are good fall short. When I had my English Pointer Cooper a good friend of mine had a well breed English Setter. He sent her to a well known trainer that I won't mention here. I am not going to mention because in fairness I do not know what was expected and what was promised. His dog had a great high head and tail! As well as a great nose. But did not hold point, did not back, and when she did hold point she broke at the shot. She didn't retrieve but did point dead. Something I am not a fan of but I guess it's better than doing neither. So hunting with his dog close was paramount. Cooper held steady as a rock to wing and shot. So I never minded him ranging. My buddies all said to me their first time hunting over Cooper that he runs big for a grouse dog. But after the hunt saw that it didn't matter as he didn't bump birds.

One thing to keep in mind is sending a dog off to a trainer isn't a bad thing and for a lot of guys is probably the best foundation. Where I see things fall to sh_t is when they get the dog back! One the dog needs to get to know you, he/she has been working for a different person and most likely different skill, demeanor, and expectations. Second the training MUST continue.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.