Originally Posted by Beaver10
I briefly owned a GSP that a coworker couldn’t handle living in the city. It was a female that had several thousands poured into her for bird training.

The dog was absolutely beautiful, small in size, but still young. She looked like it was on roids. Big, defined, leaned out muscles, and tons of energy, very high strung.

I had 5 acres fenced with 6’ft high Australian fence wire. Plenty of room to roam, kept her outside - not in a kennel while I was at work, inside with the family at night.

That dog would climb the fence wire front paw, leg foot over and over then jump from the top out and run wild a few times each week. I’d sometimes get a call from a neighbor that saw her running loose. The first few times, I left work to run her down, only to find her either back on my property or sniffing around near by.

I liked the dog a lot, but the hardest thing was trying to understand the high strung behavior. It was like she could never seem to chill out, more of a frantic behavior than a hyper, needs to be worked type of identifier. Never seen that before...But, at the time, my experience was strictly Lab hunting dogs.

Finally, I decided before I lost her, or she got shot for trespass by a ranch hand. i took her to the breeder who trained her up and asked if she wanted her for a kennel bitch or to pour some work into and sell her at a later time as a ready for birds hunting dog. The trainer took her.

I was leary of the GSP breed after that experience for many years...I hunted over several during those years and never saw the same crazy behavior exhibited once.

I can honestly say, I love that breed of dog. I find them awesome both in how they look and work...I would even own one, if I was certain that weird high strung out, worrying type of behavior wasn’t inherent to this breed of dog.

😎

Mine doesn't seem to have that problem!
Actually when she's awake she's fullbore...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]