I walked up on a big boar last year, surprised both of us at 25 yards. He eyeballed me, ripped a little rotted stump out of the ground and stuck his nose in the dirt, snuffed and very slowly walked a semi circle around me. His route took him downwind which I thought should be a good thing, but he just layed down on a huge downed log and stared me down. Hell, I thought bears ran when they encountered a human. Especially with a good whiff of human scent. This old boy just didn't give a crap. The Glock 10mm and 220 gr. hardcast was in hand... just in case.

Pretty sure I saw that same bear during archery deer season. He fed on acorns behind me about 80 yards. When he got my scent stream he threw his nose up and sucked some air and stared my direction for awhile. I was in a climbing treestand and about 20' up and I'm sure he never saw me. But even after catching my scent that boar bear just continued feeding along, and away thankfully. But walking out that direction in dark 1\2 mile with the climber on my back and no handgun caused me to consider packing something with me afterward. Especially considering bumping wild hogs is fairly common for me also. As said above, I carry concealed in town so I see no reason not to pack while in the woods.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.