Originally Posted by Pappy348
Congrats on your purchase. I have a 6mm CM, but also bought a .243 afterwards. No real difference except in standard barrel twists and the dimensions, which favor the 6 with heavy bullets. For hunting? Meh.

I've killed deer with 100gr NPs and 100gr Sierra Pro Hunters. If the rifle will shoot them, I prefer the Partitions, however 45gr of RL26 with the PHs shoots fine, and you have some room to add a bit more if you need it.

I have scads of .24 bullets in the 85-115gr range. Have a lot of futzing around to do with both rifles. I "lost" last Spring and Summer dealing with elder-care issues (NOT mine, thankfully). The .24s are pretty much ideal for this area, methinks, especially since next-door VA hasn't jumped on the .22 caliber deer rifle bandwagon yet.

Man, I wish Virginia would allow .22 Cal for deer. An 8 twist 22-250, or 223 Ai would have been ordered instead. I asked the Virginia dept of game and inland fisheries why they won't allow the use of 22 Cal. They said that too many hunters would go hunting with varmint bullets, causing lost and wounded/maimed animals. Although, I believe that some dingbats would do this initially, the vast majority wouldn't. Hey, I'm just happy we can hunt on Sundays now!