Originally Posted by las
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

I hear you las. Good stuff. The flip side is I've never ran across anybody who sampled Axis meat who said it was anything other than fantastic. There will likely be some pop up now though. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.