Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by TomM1
It’s just that if Im going to pay $15K for a sub-compact, it seems the next step up to something 25 HP for another 2K seems like a good idea.

Maybe it's just me... But don't consider 25hp as a step up. Hell, my lawn mower is 25hp... wink

For the same money, you could find a cream puff used tractor with enough HP to blow your mind compared to a 25hp. smile

Barry's right. We have a 22HP sub-compact JD, with mower deck and loader. We've used it for a little bit of everything......pulling a 4 foot rotary tiller in the garden, digging postholes, grading the drive, as well as mowing and using the loader. The bottom line is that while it will do most jobs, it's not really suited to do them, and it can be hard on the tractor. After a few years of figuring that out, I bought a 45HP compact, a NH TC45A, and have never looked back.

You, and only you, know what you can afford, and know what your plans are. You can do small jobs with a bigger tractor, but not bigger jobs with a small tractor. Trying to do work that is heavier than what a tractor is designed for will either get you hurt, or your tractor damaged. It's always better to go larger than what you think you need.