Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Barry and Yoder hit on some great points.

Compare a modern 25 up tractor to one that's 70 years old
and you have a toy beside a tool.

I don't think the OP is needinga large tractor from what he posts.

Maybe true with large tractors, but compare say an old Ford 8N vs a newer same size tractor like a Kubota 2501 The old Fords don't have the mass in the front axle to do heavy lifting BTDT. A 2501 Kubota has about the same HP raring as the old Ford, but the Ford didn't have the gearing..It is about like comparing a 58 Ford 1/2T with a newer F150 that has tow rating of 13,000 lbs (not that I would ever try to max that out. ) Plus with these newer tractors,you get a 5 ft bucket vs the old Fords had 30" one or so. It wasn't even as wide as the front wheels. I have had older Fords 8n an 9N's, John Deere 40's and Massey Furgeson. I sure like them at the time and have even spent some time using mule teams to pull equipment, but sure won't go back to them.

Originally Posted by RGRJN
Saddlesore,

Wish I could do something for the fronts, that will be my next research project. So far it's doing better
I tried that on my 2501,but the front tires came too close to the tractor frame when in a tight turn.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles