jwall;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply and further thoughts on the matter, I appreciate both for sure.

Honestly when answering I was being a tad on the side of devil's advocate as for years I personally hunted with an '06 so am fully aware of it's capabilities as a hunting round. Here in BC, I've taken black bear, sheep, mulie and whitetail bucks with it as well as helped cut and wrap moose who died in front of an '06. In Africa I was witness to game as large as a decent cape buffalo bull and a good sized zebra stallion taken with a single .30-06 round each too.

I'd also opine that if one was going to travel the backwaters of the world, one would be able to scrounge up ammo for a .30-06 in a sporting goods store or outfitter's tool box more than any other given round.

Truly local favorites might be in the backwater stores too, so when I was a kid in very rural Saskatchewan one would find .30-30, .303 British and .30-06 - as well as Imperial branded .22 rimfire if they had any ammo for sale at all.

When in Kenya in 1975, the chap we were visiting used a .30-06 for most hunting and shot his .458 less both because of the cost and availability of good ammo - which had to be factory ammo then by the way.

Anyway that's just a couple examples from a Canuck who paid attention to such things since I was able to read. Funny how we don't always change that much over half a century is it not?

Thanks again for the thread and all the best to you folks once again sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"