I have a Mod. 94 Win. in .44 mag., a Mod. 94 big Bore in .356 Win., a Mirkoru made Mod 71 Win. in .348 Win. and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and I like them all. But, when it comes time to clean them or disassemble them for any reason, the Marlin 1895 is the hands down winner for me. In a few minutes I am quickly cleaning the rifle from the receiver end and cleaning the bolt and receiver. They also are easier to mount a scope on. I prefer the lighter weight of a Marlin 1895 compared to my Mod. 71 and the Win. 1886. But, the Big Bore .356 WIn. is a lot of bang in a small light package.

It was Marlin who first brought out the 45-70 in a lever gun long ago. But, nothing will ever be able to compete with the reputation of the Winchester name, it appeals to the cowboy in all of us !

The Marlin 336 and 1895 receivers are pretty much the same and one thing is for sure here in Alaska, Marlin hit the grand slam of home runs with their 45-70 series of rifles, whether it is one of the many Guide gun models, the Limited Edition Models or the regular 1895 in 45-70. Even though most of us Alaskan hunters prefer a scope sighted bolt gun for hunting, we also reach for a Marlin in 45-70 for other out door activities. They are very popular in Alaska and many of us prefer them for hiking, ATV rides, camping, and wading salmon streams that bears also love.

My 45-70 lives in my truck from April to November. It is a comfort to me.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 02/28/20.