Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Mossberg needs to narrow the skeletonized elevator so shells cannot partially fall through and jam up the gun.
I personally have two Mossberg 500's that I've owned for many years. Both have had thousands of rounds pumped through them with zero malfunctions. I think you are cursed.

I watched it happen to Hickok45. Same exact thing. Shell fell through the skeletonized elevator as he was pumping forward after pumping backward. It was only stopped by its rim from falling to the ground, jamming up his Mossberg pump shotgun. He just nonchalantly stopped what he was doing, and fidgeted with it, working it back up into the action area, then shucked it in, with little comment. He doesn't like to bad mouth the products he's shooting.

Remington was smart to use a solid elevator, lacking skeletonization.
Never seen it happen personally. Can't make mine do it and never had a customer come in with that complaint in the four years I worked in general gunsmithing full time. I suppose it's possible they've changed something in the action since then that could cause it but that seems unlikely.. There simply is not enough room in the action between the shell stop at the front of the trigger guard and the extended tab on the lifter for a 2 3/4" shell to rotate and allow the nose to fall through on either of my 500's. Two guys I work with now have shockwaves and both run perfectly. As to the 870 lifter being superior, obviously you've never seen a shell get trapped between the lifter and the bottom of the bolt when it wasn't fully seated in the magazine and clicked in ahead of the shell stop before releasing it.