Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Looking to acquire an “other” for the camper.

Shockwave or Remington 870 TAC 14?

I like the top safety on the Mosssberg and it’s easy to modify for th Aquila short shells.

Who has either? Pluses or minuses?

I've had both. Sold the Mossberg after the third time a live shot shell fell through the skeletonized elevator, jamming up the gun, in the process of racking the pump action. Then I went out and bought a Remington Tac-14. No problems with the Remington. Only drawback to the Remington is one less round in the mag, but you can get a plus one for it.

Here's what kept happening to the Mossberg:

[Linked Image]

Never had that happen, but my Mossberg's extractor wouldn't grip the shell rim and would leave the empty in the chamber despite racking the action. Twice, after replacing the first extractor. The top tang safety also went tits up on me and the components of it needed to be replaced.

I went to an 870 Marine (not a TAC 14 mind you) and haven't looked back. It has worked flawlessly, though I admittedly do not shoot it much.
I always replace a Mossberg safety with a steel one from Brownells before the plastic one breaks, which they are very prone to do particularly in cold weather. It's a 5 minute job and last I knew they were about 20.00. That takes care of the issue for good..Your extractor likely wouldn't grab the shell sufficiently to extract reliably because the extractor recess in the barrel wasn't cut deep enough. I've seen and corrected the same problem on lots of shotguns including 870's. If I started listing all the problems/manufacturing defects/broken parts I saw in supposedly better guns including 870's and Ithaca 37's when I was working as a general gunsmith it would take me a week and be 20 pages long. About 90% of the time when a Mossberg came in for repair it was for a broken safety button.