Not getting into the pissing match of what is better, Mossberg or Remington pump but I can tell you, when I started hunting at age 12 over 38 years ago, I used a used 70's vintage Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, the one that had an adjustable choke at the top of the barrel. Between shooting clays, ducks, rabbits grouse and woodcock, I would guess I put over 1000 shots through that gun and never had a malfunction.

For my 18th birthday/HS Graduation, my fathers best friend and a man I called uncle Joe gave me a Mossberg 500 20 gauge camper, had a pistol grip stock in a shoulder strapped carrying case. Being young and trying to figure out what to use it for, I shot clays, rabbits, ducks and used to bring camping for plinking and protection, 500+ rounds later, that gun still sits next to my bed for self home defence.

Mossberg 500's just seem to work and work well for me, my boys and a large number of friends. I have thought many times about a shockwave but the pistol grip just works for me and the 20 gauge then was just as effective as now. Nothing against the shockwave, I just seem to control the PG a bit better. I am also biased in my love for the Mossberg as they were made in not just my home state, my hometown, the factory a half mile away from where Marlins were made